Fresno, CA asked in Energy, Oil and Gas and Real Estate Law for California

Q: How do you get a termination letter for " independent solar energy producer contract" when the company is not in busines

we never went active with the solar provider, instead had them remove the solar system off the house. Had to pay to remove the lien on the property.. now selling the house and the independent solar energy producer contract is hold up the title process.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If you need a termination letter for an independent solar energy producer contract and the company is no longer in business, the situation can be a bit complex. First, it's crucial to gather all documentation related to the contract and the removal of the solar system, including any agreements, receipts, or correspondence with the company.

Since the company is no longer in business, you may not be able to obtain a termination letter directly from them. In this case, you should check if the company had any successor entities or if it was acquired by another company that might have taken over its contracts. If so, contact this entity for the termination letter.

If there's no successor entity, you might need to take legal steps to clear the title. This usually involves filing a legal action, such as a quiet title action, to have a court officially recognize that the contract is no longer valid and should not affect the property's title. This action can remove the cloud on the title caused by the defunct contract.

For this legal process, consider consulting with an attorney who specializes in real estate law. They can guide you through the necessary steps and help ensure that the matter is resolved efficiently.

Remember, when selling a property, having a clear title is essential. Addressing this issue promptly and correctly is key to ensuring a smooth sale process. Keep all records and documentation organized, as they will be important in proving your case and resolving the title issue.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.