Charlotte, NC asked in Civil Litigation for South Carolina

Q: I allowed a woman to put a shed on my property to live in. We helped her get it ready to move-in. She lived here for

For less than 10 days she abandoned the property over a year ago. The shed is still on my property now she is trying to get it back. Do I have the right to keep it because it was on my property for over a year abandoned?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: In your situation, where someone left a shed on your property and now wants it back after a year, there are several legal considerations. Firstly, the fact that the shed was abandoned on your property does not automatically grant you ownership rights to it. Ownership of personal property like a shed typically remains with the original owner unless legally transferred.

However, there may be laws in South Carolina regarding abandoned property that could apply. These laws usually require certain steps to be taken, like attempting to contact the original owner and waiting a specific period before claiming ownership.

Since the original owner has returned within a year and is claiming the shed, you might need to address this through legal means. It's advisable to consult with a legal professional to understand your rights and obligations in this situation. They can guide you on the appropriate legal actions to take, whether it involves returning the shed, negotiating with the owner, or another course of action.

Remember, it's important to handle this matter carefully to avoid any legal complications. Document all communications and actions taken regarding the shed and the owner. This documentation will be valuable if the situation escalates or requires legal intervention.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.