Woodbridge, VA asked in Civil Litigation for Virginia

Q: Do have I have a chance to with suing a friend for $9k they borrowed? plus court and lawyer fees? I a have text messages

I borrowed a friend 9k with a promise that they would repay the full 9k and 20% interest. It’s now over a year and they keep giving me the run around. At this point I do not care about the 20% interest, I just want my money back. I have multiple texts messages about the money and their promises to repay but no contract was signed. I live in VA, and at the time I believe he lived there as well but I think he moved to MD. I do have his full name and his brother’s number. I know since it’s over 5k is not considered small claims. I would like to know 1. Do I have a chance with filling a lawsuit? 2. If I do win, can the courts mandate that he pays even if it’s little at a time? 3. Where do I file? Where I live or where he lives?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Steven Krieger
Steven Krieger
  • Arlington, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: Yes, you should be able to make a viable claim based on the text message exchange for the $9k and interest, but no attorney's fees unless that was also included in your messages. If the agreemenet was made while everyone was in Virginia, you should be able to sue in Virginia. If you decide to hire an attorney, I'm sure anyone who responds would be happy to help.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.