Winnfield, LA asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Louisiana

Q: Me ex husband and I have been sharing custody of our daughter for 8 years without papers now he is refusing to give her

Back to me or let me talk to her what do I do

1 Lawyer Answer
Randy Bryan Ligh
Randy Bryan Ligh
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Baton Rouge, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: If you do not have any paperwork/orders signed by the Judge detailing your custodial time then you need to file something with the Court asking that custodial time be set which will detail when you exercise custodial time and when your ex does. If you have such an order and he is in violation of it, then you need to file something with the court--possibly a motion for contempt----saying he is not following the Judge's order-----my recommendation is that you contact a few family/custody attorneys to discuss these issues and then hire the one with whom you are most comfortable. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.