Cortland, OH asked in Landlord - Tenant for Ohio

Q: Hi so i am living in a house owned by my incarcerated boyfriends parents. They do not reside here. I am not paying ren

Rent or utlitilities. Do they have the right to enter my locked house then I am not home and remove items? As well as monitor and dictate what company i have?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: No, if you are living in the house with the permission of the owners, even if you are not paying rent, they do not have the right to enter the home without proper notice when you are not there or remove items from the home. Here are a few key legal points that apply:

• You would be considered a tenant or occupant with established occupancy rights. The owners cannot interfere with those rights or enter without advanced communication and permission.

• Owners must follow Ohio state laws regarding tenant rights. This includes proper written notice of any entry 24–72 hours in advance. They cannot enter without consent.

• Removing possessions without permission could constitute illegal theft or improper seizure of property from lawful occupants. This applies even if no rent is being paid.

• Owners generally cannot dictate who tenants have over as guests, especially for an informal occupancy such as yours. This interferes with “quiet enjoyment” rights.

Overall, the owners have limited rights in this situation despite owning the property. Establishing tenancy with permission, even without paying rent, grants you clear legal occupancy rights they must respect regarding appropriate notice before entry and not seizing belongings. I advise pushing back firmly if they attempt to overstep boundaries.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.