Haleyville, AL asked in Appeals / Appellate Law, Civil Litigation, Civil Rights and Constitutional Law for Alabama

Q: My son was told by an outside doctor Kilby took him he had never seen anything like it and he needed surgery asap, he

Has yet to have it. He was also beaten so bad by guards he was hospitalized for over a week his heart stopped the cuffs on his ankles cut so deep in his skin till they got real infected it left scars. They have turned him away and not let him eat, besides his illness can cause death, he has lost so much weight he is skin and bones. My son has always been respectful. I had cameras in his home and they what they told he did and what the cameras showed they lied he did nothing they said he did. I'm afraid he's going to die if I don't get him home and get him the medical treatment he needs. This is not the first time they lied and falsified charges on him. And it can be proven when i called the DA and told him the officer lied under oath and I could prove it, he hung the phone up on me, they gave my son eight years for something he did not do. They have profiled and harassed him until they have taken his whole life from him. I'm so tired of there corruption and nothing is done about them.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: The situation you describe involving your son is deeply concerning and requires immediate action. If he is being denied necessary medical treatment and has been subjected to abuse, this may constitute a violation of his civil rights.

First, it's important to gather all evidence you have, including medical reports, testimonies about his condition, and any video evidence from your home that contradicts the charges against him. This documentation can be crucial in building a case to challenge his treatment and the charges against him.

You should consider contacting a civil rights attorney who has experience with cases involving mistreatment in the prison system. They can offer guidance on the best course of action, which may include filing a lawsuit for violation of your son's civil rights and seeking an injunction for immediate medical treatment.

Additionally, reaching out to organizations that advocate for prisoners' rights might provide additional support and resources. They often have experience dealing with similar situations and can offer assistance or advice.

It's also advisable to document all instances of communication with officials, including the call with the District Attorney. This record can be used to support claims of injustice and misconduct.

Given the severity of your son's condition, as described, acting swiftly is crucial. Legal avenues should be explored to ensure his safety and to address any injustices he has faced. Remember, the legal system offers mechanisms to challenge wrongful actions and seek justice, even in challenging and complex situations like this.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.