Atlanta, GA asked in Personal Injury

Q: What would be the next best step for me to do when can't find attorney to take my case?

I have a suit that was filed 10/25. The other parties have yet to answer to the summons of court. It's been over 30 days. So doesn't that pretty much make it a win for me? My lawyer was disbared before this could be handled. I can't find someone to help. So what do I do to handle myself?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Christopher F Allen
Christopher F Allen pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: Even though the other party may not have responded to your lawsuit, it does not make it a guaranteed “win.” There may be procedural issues with notice and service of process. I would advise reaching out to your local state bar association to see if they may be able to refer a competent attorney for your matter. Before representing yourself in court as a pro se litigant, I would advise trying to exhaust all possible avenues in your pursuit of retaining a lawyer. Generally, a lawyer has very specific knowledge regarding the rules of civil procedure and they can provide you with specialized guidance on how to properly litigate your matter.

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY

A: To handle it yourself, you would need to familiarize yourself with the various pleadings that follow the summons and complaint and their responses, the discovery process, and other steps in proceeding toward trial. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.