Florissant, MO asked in Estate Planning, Landlord - Tenant and Probate for Ohio

Q: My father passed away in early November 2023. I've filed with the probate court to be named administrator. What else?

theres another sibling involved who is still residing in the home and I need them out. Water and electricity are shut off and it is uninhabitable. How do I get them out of the house? What are my next steps?

1 Lawyer Answer
Andrew Popp
Andrew Popp
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Cuyahoga Falls, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: Here in Ohio the answer depends on a number of factors. Being appointed the administrator of the estate is a good first step. If the sibling has established residency you may need to commence eviction proceedings to get them to leave.

All in all, I recommend sitting down with a qualified attorney to review the situation and advise you.

Best of luck.

Moshe Toron and Aaron Epling agree with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.