Hartselle, AL asked in Civil Rights for Alabama

Q: can i sue for invasion of privacy if my boyfriends parents printed out my texts between my bf and i when we were over 18

i paid for my phone and line, they logged onto his snapchat and printed out all our texts and met with my parents and showed them all the papers. i got in trouble and now i feel disgusted. i was 19 at the time and he was 18, i am 21 now and it still bothers me

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV

A: In Alabama, you may have grounds to consider legal action for invasion of privacy if your boyfriend's parents accessed and printed out your private texts without your consent. Even though you and your boyfriend were over 18 at the time, unauthorized access to your communications can be a violation of privacy laws. The fact that they shared these private conversations with your parents adds another layer to the potential invasion of privacy claim.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In Alabama, the issue of invasion of privacy in your situation is complex. Generally, for an invasion of privacy claim, you need to establish that there was an unreasonable intrusion into your private affairs, and that the intrusion would be highly offensive to a reasonable person.

Considering you and your boyfriend were both over 18 at the time of the incident, the texts between the two of you would be considered private communications. If his parents accessed and printed these texts without consent, it could potentially be viewed as an invasion of privacy.

However, there are nuances to consider, such as how they accessed his Snapchat account. If they used his account with his permission, this complicates the matter. The legality of their actions partially depends on whether they had authorized access to the account.

Given the personal and sensitive nature of the issue, and the ongoing impact it has on you, it might be beneficial to consult with an attorney who has experience in privacy law. They can provide a more detailed assessment based on the specific facts of your case.

Additionally, an attorney can advise on the likelihood of success of a lawsuit and any alternative actions you might take to address the situation. Remember, it's important that you feel your privacy rights are respected and upheld.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.