Asked in Criminal Law for Mississippi

Q: Is it considered ineffective counsel for a lawyer willfully withdrawing a motion to suppress my statement & not investig

Not interviewing any witnesses. The motions were filed but there's no ruling from the judge on my docket sheet.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: The decision to withdraw a motion to suppress a statement and not interview witnesses may or may not necessarily be considered ineffective counsel on its own. It depends on the specific circumstances of your case. Attorneys often make strategic decisions during the course of a legal proceeding, and these decisions are typically guided by the attorney's professional judgment and assessment of the case's strengths and weaknesses.

However, if you believe that your attorney's actions or lack of action have harmed your defense or violated your rights, it's important to address your concerns. You can consider taking the following steps:

Communication: Begin by discussing your concerns with your attorney. Ask for an explanation of the reasons behind their decisions and express your worries about the impact on your case.

Consult Another Attorney: If you remain unsatisfied with your current attorney's responses or actions, consult with another attorney who can review your case and provide a second opinion. They can advise you on whether your attorney's actions may be deemed ineffective counsel.

Request a Review: Depending on the circumstances, you may also want to request a review by the court. In some cases, a judge may assess whether your attorney's actions met the standard of effective representation.

Ultimately, whether your attorney's actions are considered ineffective counsel will depend on the facts, the legal standards in your jurisdiction, and whether their decisions and conduct fell below the accepted standards of professional competence. Consulting with another attorney is often a prudent step to evaluate the situation and determine if any legal remedies are available in your specific case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.