Southbridge, MA asked in Criminal Law and Juvenile Law for Massachusetts

Q: im on probation, im 16 in Massachusetts. my mother treats me bad can i move in with my friend over 18


Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In Massachusetts, while you're on probation at the age of 16, you generally cannot simply move out of your parent or guardian's home without their consent. Your legal guardian, in this case, your mother, has the authority to make decisions about your residence and care. If you're facing difficulties at home, it's essential to address those issues.

One potential step you can take is to discuss your concerns with your probation officer. They may be able to provide guidance or connect you with resources that can help improve your situation at home. If there are legitimate reasons to believe that your safety or well-being is at risk in your current living situation, you should communicate this to your probation officer as well.

It's also crucial to remember that you're under probation supervision, and any significant changes in your living arrangements or actions without the court's approval could potentially lead to violations of your probation terms. Therefore, it's best to work through the appropriate legal channels and seek advice from your probation officer and possibly an attorney to address any concerns or conflicts within the boundaries of the law.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.