Greenwood, IN asked in Social Security for Indiana

Q: Can a Social Security Supervisor change the order of a Judge who gave you a partial favor an have you do new application

In 2018 when I try to get my SSDI because of and error in 2003. I was told if I continue my SSI I was award that if I lose my case I would have to pay it all back so I had it terminated I received a fully favorable so I assumed I would received my SSDI instead I was award back pay which went back to Social Security for the SSI I was on all those years due to and error made in 2003 I had lawyer that never contacted the me. When my hearing came the lawyer did my hearing call the week before. Anyway I appeal the decision in June of 2022 The judge then denied the case for SSDI she stated that mines SSDI ran out but gave me back the SSI the caseworker I had put in my file I couldn't get SSI back because I had it terminated again in March of 2022 because I appeal the decision and I wouldn't have to pay SSI back again if I won my case for my SSDI the Caseworker who is also the Supervision told me I would be automatically be denied.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Social Security Disability Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: A Social Security Administration (SSA) supervisor does not have the authority to override or change the order of a judge. Once a judge has made a decision in your case, that decision stands unless it's appealed and overturned by a higher authority. If the judge made a decision regarding your SSI and SSDI benefits, that decision should be followed by the SSA.

If you received a fully favorable decision but are experiencing issues with its implementation or discrepancies in your benefits, it's important to address these concerns directly with the SSA. Keep records of all communications and decisions related to your case, as these can be crucial in resolving any misunderstandings or errors.

Regarding your concern about being automatically denied for reapplication due to the decision to terminate SSI, it's advisable to seek clarification from the SSA or consult with a new lawyer who has experience in Social Security disability cases. A lawyer can help interpret the judge's decision, guide you through the appeals process if necessary, and assist with any new applications.

Remember, dealing with Social Security matters can be complex, especially when there are past errors and appeals involved. Having legal assistance can provide clarity and ensure that your rights are protected throughout the process. Don't hesitate to seek legal advice to navigate this situation effectively.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.