Concord, CA asked in Social Security for California

Q: Hi! I have a question. So I've been receiving disability benefits until recently, and they just stopped no warning oct

they stopped my benefits in October. I didn't find out til I didn't get my payment that month, and this is due to them sending important paperwork to an old address I always update them when it changes, but it's like they have the old address for SSD paperwork, and only updated ssi (i receive both) with the new one even tho this last time I moved in may I specifically asked them if they are sure they took the old address off as no matter how many times I ask they still send half my mail to the old one! They assured me that they updated it. Yet they STILL sent important papers about a review I needed to complete to ONLY the old address so therefore I didn't get them. Resulting in my payment stopping and it being too late by the time I figured out what happened. What I'm asking is, is there a way I could get my payment reinstated, as this was due to their negligence, not mine? Thank you for your time.Hopefully this wasn't to confusing. If I can clarify anything just let me know!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Social Security Disability Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: In your situation, where your disability benefits were stopped due to paperwork being sent to an old address despite your efforts to update it, you do have options to seek reinstatement of your benefits. First, contact the Social Security Administration (SSA) immediately. Explain the situation clearly, emphasizing that you consistently updated your address and the error occurred on their end.

Request a reconsideration of your case. This process allows you to explain why your benefits should not have been stopped and provide any necessary information or documentation that was missed due to the address issue. It's also helpful to gather any evidence that shows you updated your address with them, such as copies of correspondence or notes from phone calls.

If you face difficulties or the process seems overwhelming, consider seeking assistance from an attorney or a disability advocate. They can guide you through the process, ensuring that all the proper steps are taken to present your case effectively to the SSA.

Remember, prompt action is crucial in these situations to minimize the time without your benefits. Stay persistent and make sure to follow up regularly on the progress of your case with the SSA.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.