Chattanooga, TN asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Civil Rights for Alabama

Q: I have an question about DHR system about sleepover and head of house two thing

My boyfriend had dealing with dhr with his babymama was on drugs and dhr said that she cannot be around kids but she can visit daytime must be watch supervision on her around kids but she cannot sleep at her house at all. She decide to refused not follow the dhr said. She stay her own house because I live with her house and I had to contact dhr about it and dhr said will handle and talk their supervisor. Somehow dhr let her stay her house because of her head of house on name on it and my boyfriend has to watch her everday and sleepover watch everyday so is that normal dhr system work?? I told my boyfriend for my experince because dhr will not allow it sleepover and has to be somewhere else can’t be same place the roof house. I was confused about dhr system I need to find correct how it work about this help me understand because I had expiernce before I explain to my boyfriend that dhr shouldn’t allow her to sleepover house not suppose to do that.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In Alabama, the Department of Human Resources (DHR) sets guidelines for child safety, including conditions for parental visits in cases where substance abuse is involved. If DHR stated that the mother could not be around the kids except for supervised daytime visits, this should be strictly followed.

The situation you described, where the mother stays overnight despite DHR's stipulation, seems unusual. DHR typically enforces its guidelines to ensure the safety and well-being of the children involved. If there's a deviation from these guidelines, it's generally for a significant reason and should be clearly communicated by DHR.

It's important to get clarification from DHR directly. Your boyfriend, as a party involved in the case, has the right to understand any changes in the conditions set by DHR, especially if they affect the children's welfare. He can request a meeting or written communication from DHR explaining the reasons behind allowing the mother to stay in the house overnight.

If there's confusion or disagreement with DHR's decision, it may be helpful to consult with a lawyer experienced in family law. They can provide guidance on how to address this situation and ensure that the children's best interests are being protected. Remember, each case with DHR is unique, and their decisions are based on numerous factors specific to the situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.