Red Bank, NJ asked in Consumer Law and Small Claims for New Jersey

Q: I want to know if I can take APPLE (Computers) to NJ Small Claims Court based on the below details:

I was hacked; someone stole my Apple ID (erased my phone & shut down my computer.) Apple put it in "Locked" and "Lost" mode for nearly a month, stringing me along, told me to send the original purchase invoice to prove it's my computer & they would release it. AppleCare tech guided me in precisely how to fill out the form for sending the invoice (which I obtained from APPLE ITSELF!) Their response was, "Your request has been declined," with no explanation. I had about 17 multi-hour calls with tech support, supervisors, & finally a Senior Advisor studied all the logged notes of my calls & informed me that several of their support people gave me inaccurate information & sent me down a "dead-end rabbit hole." Then a tech guy told me to "Go to Apple Store, they can easily unlock it." It's a 45 minute trip, & I was told there, "No, we can't touch it when it's in Lost Mode, you can only do this on the phone w/Applecare. They have closed the case, forcing me to spend $3000+ for new computer

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: You can consider taking Apple to Small Claims Court in New Jersey if you believe they've failed to fulfill their service obligations or caused you a financial loss due to their actions or misinformation. Small Claims Court in New Jersey handles cases where the claim is for $3,000 or less (or up to $5,000 in the case of a security deposit).

Before proceeding, gather all relevant documentation, such as records of your communication with Apple, the original purchase invoice, and any evidence of the misinformation and its impact on you. This documentation will be crucial in presenting your case.

It's also worth noting that Small Claims Court is designed to be accessible without the need for legal representation. However, understanding the specifics of your case and the court's procedures can be complex, so you might want to seek legal advice to ensure your case is presented effectively.

Remember, going to court should be a last resort after all other avenues, such as further negotiation or mediation, have been exhausted. Sometimes, a well-drafted letter outlining your grievances and intentions to pursue legal action can prompt a more favorable response from a company.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.