Charlotte, NC asked in Real Estate Law and Probate for Alabama

Q: Live in my family home but never changed deed over after my mum died. Property taxes went up 600$ more this year

Increase because homesteaders rights were took away even though I'm 68;but it hasn't been changed over to me. She's been dead 8-10 years now. Don't know if her will went through probate because my brother died after she did and he was executor. How do I get deed in my name or can I get homesteaders rights before it's changed over

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
William Vann Burkett
William Vann Burkett
  • Huntsville, AL
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: You will likely need to file a quiet title action to get a deed to the property. This will involve suing any person that might have an interest in the property. The other option that might be available is to go through the probate process. This would likely need be done in the county where your mother passed away. However, without complete information it is difficult to give a definitive answer. You should reach out to a local property or probate lawyer to explore your options and whatever claims you may have.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.