Plattsmouth, NE asked in Car Accidents for Nebraska

Q: Hit a car accidently. Didnt have paper went home came back no car was there.

I called the police and the non emergency number of the local pd. They said since it was on private property can’t do anything but to leave info with worker at building parking lot. I told them I don’t want a hit and run charge they said this should be fine. Am I safe from any charges?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler
  • Omaha, NE
  • Licensed in Nebraska

A: You should follow up with the person that you hit, even if on private property. Assuming you have since had contact with who you hit, generally, calling in the accident and reporting yourself to law enforcement at the scene prevents the prosecutor from filing hit and run charges. If hit and run charges are filed, your attorney could subpoena the 911 records to show that you called in and reported yourself and the accident before leaving the scene.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.