Accokeek, MD asked in Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Gov & Administrative Law for Maryland

Q: Can a minor be an acting lawyer in a civil rights case against the government?

Regarding religion, privacy, etc

3 Lawyer Answers
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV

A: In the United States, minors typically cannot act as lawyers in legal proceedings, including civil rights cases against the government. Legal representation typically requires individuals to be of adult age and have completed the necessary education and licensing requirements to practice law.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In Maryland, as in all states, one must be licensed to practice law, and obtaining a license typically requires, among other things, a law degree and passing the bar exam. Minors, being under the age of 18, are generally not eligible to meet these requirements, as they cannot yet hold a professional degree or take the bar exam.

Therefore, a minor cannot act as a lawyer in any legal case, including a civil rights case against the government. Representing oneself or another person in court without a license to practice law is considered unauthorized practice of law and is prohibited.

If a minor is involved in a civil rights case, either as a plaintiff or a defendant, they would need to be represented by a licensed attorney. This attorney can advocate on their behalf, ensuring that their legal rights, including those related to religion and privacy, are properly defended.

If you or the minor in question are involved in such a case and need legal representation, it's advisable to seek a qualified attorney who has experience in civil rights law. They will be able to provide the necessary legal expertise and representation in the case.

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY

A: To serve as a lawyer in a civil rights case would generally require being an attorney licensed to practice law in the applicable jurisdiction and court system. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.