Copperas Cove, TX asked in Probate for North Carolina

Q: How do the courts ensure a will in North Carolina was followed and the correct people received the property?

My Grandmother outlived my father. As far as my siblings and I were told that his half of the inheritance would be split among us. We are not very close with his brother (my uncle) who is now the executor of the estate. In my fathers will it states that any inheritance that he would receive in the future would be split among us. His will was in Texas my Grandmothers in North Carolina.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In North Carolina, the probate court oversees the administration of estates to ensure that wills are followed correctly. The executor, in your case, your uncle, has a legal responsibility to administer the estate in accordance with your grandmother's will and relevant state laws.

If your father's will contains a clause about future inheritances being split among his children, this should be considered in the distribution of your grandmother's estate. However, the applicability of this clause depends on specific legal factors, including the wording of both wills and the laws governing inheritance in North Carolina.

If you have concerns about whether the estate is being administered correctly or fairly, you have the right to seek legal advice. An attorney can help you understand how the laws apply in your situation and what steps can be taken if you believe your rights as an heir are not being honored.

You can also request an accounting of the estate from the executor. This is a detailed report of the estate's assets, debts, distributions, and expenses. If the executor fails to comply or if the accounting raises further concerns, legal action may be necessary.

Given the complexity of dealing with interstate inheritance issues, it's advisable to consult with an attorney experienced in probate law. They can provide guidance specific to your circumstances and help ensure your rights and interests are protected.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.