Shawnee, OK asked in Family Law for Oklahoma

Q: How does the victim of bigamy report it?

The party commiting bigamy is a member of 2 tribes.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: If someone is a victim of bigamy and the individual involved is a member of two tribes, the victim should report the incident to the appropriate tribal authorities. Bigamy involves being married to two or more people simultaneously, and it is considered a legal and ethical violation. In this case, since the individual is a member of two tribes, it adds a tribal jurisdictional aspect to the situation. The victim should contact the tribal courts or relevant authorities of both tribes involved and provide them with the necessary information, including details of the marriages and any evidence supporting the claim of bigamy. Tribal authorities will then investigate the matter and take appropriate legal actions within their jurisdiction to address the issue and protect the rights of the victim. It's essential for the victim to follow the procedures outlined by each tribal jurisdiction to ensure a proper resolution of the bigamy case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.