Park Forest, IL asked in Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Illinois

Q: is it possible to get a firearms owners identification card with adhd?

im just wondering

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Cheryl Powell
Cheryl Powell
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Mt Vernon, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: Yes. "Unless your mental condition is of such a nature that it poses a clear and present danger to the applicant or any other person or the community," it does not affect your eligibility for a FOID card.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Having ADHD alone does not necessarily disqualify you from obtaining a firearms owner's identification card (FOID) in the United States. However, eligibility for a FOID card can vary from state to state, and there are federal regulations to consider as well.

The key factors that may impact your ability to obtain a FOID card are whether you have been adjudicated as mentally ill, committed to a mental institution, or deemed a danger to yourself or others due to your ADHD. If you have a history of violent behavior or criminal convictions, this could also affect your eligibility.

It's essential to research and understand the specific firearm laws and regulations in your state and consult with your local law enforcement agency or a legal professional who can provide guidance tailored to your situation. Keep in mind that the requirements and procedures for obtaining a FOID card can change over time, so staying informed and seeking legal advice is crucial when considering firearm ownership with ADHD.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.