Torrington, WY asked in Domestic Violence and Criminal Law for Nebraska

Q: me and my girls where arguing and I tried to leave the house but she wouldn't let me and I tried forcing my way out door

door and I threw my phone and it accidentally called 911 and the cops showed up and she pushed me down but I accidentally pushed her off of me by the throat cuz she knocked me down butI got scared and ran so they had a warrant for my arrest and I was put in jail for 7 days and someone paid the bond for me to get out and they did a no contact order and I've been out for 3 days now and I've had no contact with her at all

1 Lawyer Answer
Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler
  • Omaha, NE
  • Licensed in Nebraska

A: You should contact a criminal defense attorney. If there is also a custody dispute, then you may also need to file a custody action or a custody modification action. It doesn't sound like this last exchange was very positive for you or the children. Going forward, you may need to have your exchange point be at a neutral location, such as the parking lot of the local police or sheriff, so that your children don't have to witness something like this again.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.