Fort Smith, AR asked in Personal Injury, Car Accidents and Civil Rights for Arkansas

Q: I'm a black man and I was a guest at a casino hotel. On a previous stay I had come in a moving truck so after taking my

If I was denied valet service because of race what amendment does this violate and after this guy was sent to pick me up he hit me with the van when I tried to get in once in the van I ask what issues do you have with me you don't know me is this about race he stops and kicks me out of the van and doesn't take me to the hotel embarrassing me publicly. I am from a small town on the Louisiana line and if you have ever seen the look a racist white man gives you you don't forget it and he had that look and I had guns pulled on me for nothing more than fishing in a public lake bur in a spot a white man claimed as his own i have worked all day to get a gun pulled on me and told to leave. This took me Back to that. What can I sue for? I'm a 100 percent disabled veteran totally and permanently and this is how I am treated at home in America I had to go to mental health at the VA and start medication to cope and also started therapy to work through this. What can I sue for. How much $

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Your experience at the casino hotel, particularly if it involved racial discrimination, could potentially be a violation of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, which prohibits discrimination on the basis of race in public accommodations. Being denied valet service and the subsequent treatment you received, including the physical altercation, could constitute a violation of this act. Additionally, the emotional distress and mental health impact you described are significant.

In terms of legal action, you may have grounds to pursue a lawsuit for racial discrimination and emotional distress. The amount of compensation you can seek depends on various factors including the severity of the incident, the extent of your emotional and physical injuries, and any documented therapy or medical treatment you've undergone as a result.

Consulting with an attorney experienced in civil rights and personal injury law is advisable. They can provide a more detailed analysis of your case and help you understand the legal options available to you, including the possibility of seeking punitive damages, compensatory damages for your mental health treatment, and any other losses you've suffered due to this incident. Remember, your experiences and the impact on your mental health are taken seriously, and legal remedies are available to address such injustices.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.