Charlotte, NC asked in Landlord - Tenant for North Carolina

Q: can i with-hold rent in nc till my floor is replaced?

i have given my landlord verbal and written notice about my bathroom floor needing to be replace due to an unknown leak however its going on a year that nothing has been done about it, would i be in the right to with hold rent till its fixed?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: In North Carolina, tenants generally do not have the right to unilaterally withhold rent for repairs without risking legal consequences. However, the law does provide tenants with certain rights when it comes to repairs. If a landlord fails to make necessary repairs affecting the tenant's health or safety, the tenant may have the right to take legal action.

In your situation, it's essential to follow the proper legal procedures. First, ensure that you have provided written notice to your landlord about the needed repairs. If the landlord still does not address the issue, you may be able to take legal action. This could involve filing a complaint with the local housing authority or pursuing a legal remedy through the courts. Withholding rent without following proper procedures may result in eviction proceedings.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.