Coeur d'Alene, ID asked in Banking and Estate Planning for Idaho

Q: I was made the trustee and the beneficiary of a trust fund 31 years ago by family that never told me anything about it.

The bank also changed the name of the trust slightly knowing I don't have access to the paperwork

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: If you have been designated as the trustee and beneficiary of a trust fund without being provided information about it for 31 years, it is crucial to take steps to gather details and ensure that your rights and responsibilities are clear. Start by reaching out to the family members who appointed you as the trustee and beneficiary to inquire about the trust and its particulars. Request any relevant documentation, such as the trust agreement and related paperwork, to understand the terms, conditions, and assets involved. If the bank has changed the name of the trust without your knowledge, it's essential to address this issue directly with the bank, providing any available details about the trust to help facilitate communication.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.