Columbia, MO asked in Family Law, Civil Rights and Juvenile Law for Missouri

Q: as a 17 year old, if i run away but have a stable income, house, and boyfriend. can they make me go home

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In Missouri, as in many states, the age of majority is 18. This means that until you turn 18, you are considered a minor under the law, and your parents or legal guardians have certain rights and responsibilities regarding your care and custody.

If you choose to leave home before turning 18, your parents or guardians may have the legal right to ask the police to bring you back home. The fact that you have a stable income, house, and boyfriend does not change your legal status as a minor.

However, there are certain circumstances where a minor can be legally emancipated, which means being released from the control of their parents or guardians before turning 18. Emancipation typically requires a court process and proof that the minor is capable of independent living and has a stable income.

If you are considering leaving home, you may want to discuss your situation with a trusted adult, counselor, or legal advisor. They can provide guidance based on your specific circumstances and help you understand your rights and options.

Remember, each situation is unique and the best course of action can vary depending on a variety of factors, including your personal safety, well-being, and legal considerations.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.