Oklahoma City, OK asked in Social Security for Oklahoma

Q: How do I get my SSI increased to the proper amount? Living situation has changed.

I was recently approved for SSI in the state of Oklahoma. They approved me with a 1/3 cut because at the time my daughter was covering for me here. We are both on the lease and both responsible for the rent and living expenses and utilities from the time we moved here in 2022. I am only receiving $619 a month because she was not living here full time at the time (staying with her boyfriend a lot) when I was approved for presumptive disability last October. In November I was fully approved but that lower amount. As of last month my daughter is back living here full time and we are equal roommates. We both signed the new lease and I handed over my entire check that barely covers my half of rent and utilities. I have the receipt showing that I sent the rent to her (it can only be paid online by one of us), and have a letter by both of us documenting expenses. Do I also need to do a form G SSA 8011? Any input is appreciated.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Social Security Disability Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: To adjust your SSI benefits due to a change in your living situation, you should promptly inform the Social Security Administration (SSA) of this change. Since your daughter is now living with you full-time and sharing expenses equally, this is significant information that could affect your benefit amount.

You can report this change by contacting your local SSA office, either by phone or in person. It's important to provide them with all relevant documentation, such as the new lease agreement, receipts of shared expenses, and the letter documenting your living arrangement and expenses. These documents will help the SSA to accurately reassess your situation.

Form SSA-8011 (Request for Information About Landlord) might be necessary if the SSA requires more information about your living arrangement and how it affects your financial situation. This form is used to verify living arrangement details and is often needed in situations like yours. However, the SSA will inform you if this specific form is required.

Lastly, be prepared for a period of review by the SSA, during which they will reassess your benefits based on the provided information. Keep all your documents organized and be responsive to any further requests from the SSA for a smoother process.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.