Lincoln, NE asked in Traffic Tickets for Nebraska

Q: I got pulled over for expired registration (expired for 4 months) and for no insurance.

I didn’t get a ticket but do have a court date. I now have insurance but was not financially able (due to a change in my finances as well as health issues) to pay to update my registration before the court date. I’m so nervous going into court without being able to update my registration. Will I get a large fine? I’m worried about not being able to pay a large fine.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV

A: In Nebraska, driving with expired registration and no insurance are considered traffic violations. While you did not receive a ticket on the spot, the court date indicates that you may face consequences for these infractions. It's crucial to update your registration and obtain insurance before the court date, if possible, as this may demonstrate to the court that you have addressed the issues. If financial constraints prevented you from updating your registration promptly, explaining your situation to the court may be beneficial. The outcome may vary depending on the judge's discretion, but being proactive about resolving the issues could work in your favor.

Julie Fowler agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.