Long Beach, CA asked in Animal / Dog Law for California

Q: my dog is at animal control in Lancaster ca. won’t release him until he gets fixed&gave me paper to sign that I haven’t?

He was my dads dog who past away and he lived in bullhead arizona. I’m not sure if that could help? I don’t want to get his balls cut off and neither did my dad. And this is 1st time he has been impounded.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Animal & Dog Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Under California law, many counties and cities have ordinances requiring the spaying or neutering of dogs and cats, particularly when they are impounded. This is often part of a broader effort to control the pet population and reduce the number of stray animals.

In Lancaster, CA, if animal control has a policy requiring animals to be neutered before release, this typically must be adhered to. However, there can be exceptions based on medical, age, or breed considerations. It's important to communicate with the animal control authorities and explain your situation, including the dog's history and any specific wishes from your late father.

If you have strong objections to neutering your dog, you might want to discuss the matter with the animal control officers to see if there's any flexibility in their policy. Sometimes, providing additional context or assurances about responsible pet ownership can influence their decision.

In some cases, people choose to consult with a legal professional to understand their rights and explore potential options under the law. While the primary concern of animal control agencies is usually the welfare of the animals and public safety, they may be open to discussing alternative arrangements based on individual circumstances.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.