Akron, OH asked in Landlord - Tenant for Ohio

Q: My mother has lived in amha housing for over a year and the intercom system does not work she had covid.

This left my mom trapped in her apartment and I could not get in because of the intercom system is not hooked up in her room there is nothing there. Is there something I can do this has been a problem and I have not been able to get into the building.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In your situation, addressing the malfunctioning intercom system in your mother's AMHA housing is a matter of both accessibility and safety. As a resident, your mother has the right to a habitable living environment, which includes proper maintenance of essential systems like intercoms, especially in cases of emergency or health concerns like COVID-19.

First, you should formally document the issue by writing to the housing authority or the property management. Clearly state the problem, how it affects your mother's safety and accessibility, and request prompt repairs. Keep copies of all correspondence for your records.

If the housing authority or management does not respond or fails to remedy the situation, you may consider contacting local tenant rights organizations. They can provide guidance on how to assert your rights under Ohio landlord-tenant laws.

In cases where a resident's health or safety is at risk due to neglect by the housing authority, legal action might be necessary. Consult with an attorney experienced in landlord-tenant law to explore this option. They can help you understand your rights and the potential steps you can take to ensure that the necessary repairs are made promptly.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.