Denver, CO asked in Health Care Law and International Law for Colorado

Q: Help finding way to cover USA medical expenses as dual citizen through Austrian Universal coverage


My father is a dual citizen in Vienna, Austria and the USA. He is desiring to move to the USA but due to the low cost of a long list of medicines he gets in Vienna covered by your Universal policy he and I are unsure if this Austrian/Universal coverage has any way to cover his expenses in the states for his medicines if he wants to live he 1-3 years again. Is there anyway to be a dual citizen and take advantage of the universal policy in Austria to have the medicines shipped to the US?



2 Lawyer Answers
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Generally, Austrian universal health coverage is designed to cover medical expenses incurred within Austria. If your father moves to the USA, this coverage typically would not extend to cover medical expenses or medications in the United States. Each country's health system operates independently, and universal coverage in one country usually doesn't provide for expenses in another.

However, there might be specific provisions or exceptions depending on the details of the Austrian health policy and any reciprocal agreements between Austria and the USA. To explore these possibilities, you should contact the relevant health authorities in Austria or the Austrian embassy in the United States. They can provide specific information about the scope of coverage for citizens living abroad.

Regarding the option of having medicines shipped from Austria to the USA, this could be complex due to various regulations on international drug shipment and importation. You would need to check both Austrian export regulations and U.S. import and customs laws regarding prescription medications. In some cases, there might be legal and logistical challenges in shipping medications internationally for personal use.

Given the intricacies of international health law and drug importation regulations, it may be helpful to consult with an attorney who has expertise in health care law and international law. They can offer guidance tailored to your father's specific circumstances, ensuring that you make informed decisions about his healthcare needs while living in the USA. Remember, navigating the intersection of different national health systems can be challenging, and professional advice can be invaluable.

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY

A: The dual citizenship issue that you ask about is something that immigration attorneys would have insight into. There's no guarantee of further responses, but you could add "Immigration Law" as an additional category to your post. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.