Coos Bay, OR asked in Native American Law for Oregon

Q: How do I get justice when being denied do proccess through tribal court?

I live on the rez was assaulted on rez by a tribal member who also lives on rez. He was given a peace giver, yet I've still received no word from tribal court. I'm also a tribal member, not from same tribe however.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Native American Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If you feel that you've been denied due process by the tribal court, there are a few steps you can take to seek justice. Firstly, try to directly contact the tribal court to inquire about the status of your case. There may be delays or misunderstandings that can be resolved through communication.

If this approach doesn’t yield results, consider reaching out to the tribal council or a similar governing body within the tribe. They can often intervene or provide guidance on court matters.

Since you are a member of a different tribe, there may be jurisdictional complexities involved. In this case, it might be beneficial to consult with an attorney who has experience in tribal law and inter-tribal legal matters. They can help you navigate the specific legal landscape of the tribe in question and advise on the best course of action.

Additionally, look into any victim advocacy groups within the tribal community. They can offer support and possibly assist in navigating the tribal court system.

Remember, each tribe's legal system can vary significantly, so understanding the specific laws and procedures of the tribe where the incident occurred is crucial. Keep advocating for your rights and seek support from legal professionals and community resources to ensure your case is heard and addressed appropriately.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.