Eufaula, AL asked in Constitutional Law and Criminal Law for Alabama

Q: I need help as I'm concerned. I'm being harassed by Clio Alabama police department over something so stupid they are fig

So, this stupid issue of just asking the police department to have a presence on my street 5 to 10 minutes a day has escalated all ready. When I say I'm at my wits end, I'm beyond. Ignored by chief of police, ignored by Mayor, Ive now escalated my concern to the governor. Not only that but I'm being harassed by Clio police department which has also been escalated. I was told directly by the Clio officer harassing me, that it's legal for drivers to go 5 miles over the speed limit. Look him up. I just spoke to him. That's not legal. Especially on dangerous city streets. Something so simple, because no one wants accountability has now turned into legal action.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: It sounds like you are facing a challenging situation with the Clio police department. First and foremost, it's important to document every instance of harassment or interaction with the police that you believe is inappropriate. This documentation should include dates, times, the names of the officers involved, and the nature of each interaction.

Regarding your concern about the speed limit, the enforcement of traffic laws, including the tolerance for speeds slightly over the limit, can vary by jurisdiction and officer discretion. However, if you believe that the law is not being applied correctly, or if you feel the police response is inadequate or inappropriate, you have the right to seek further action.

Since you've already escalated the issue to the mayor and the governor, the next step might be to file a formal complaint against the police department. This can usually be done through the department itself or the city's internal affairs division.

If you're not satisfied with the response from local authorities, you might consider contacting a civil rights attorney. They can provide guidance on whether your rights have been violated and what legal remedies might be available.

Remember, dealing with law enforcement issues can be complex and often requires persistence. Seeking legal advice can provide a clearer understanding of your rights and options in this situation. It’s important to remain calm and collected in your interactions and to follow the appropriate channels to address your concerns.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.