Vienna, VA asked in Contracts and Landlord - Tenant for Virginia

Q: I pay rent with someone since on lease but don’t live there and the company took echeck option off without telling me

Do I have to pay the convenience fee since I was never told? I also don’t have any keys just to make sure that my roommate doesn’t have someone else live in there while I’m paying half her rent until she finds someone, can I legally get keys? I want to get out of this lease it’s a nightmare, how can I without hurting my self for the future?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: It's essential to carefully review the terms of your lease agreement to understand your rights and obligations. If the lease allows for joint payments or specifies a method for rent payment, you may need to adhere to those terms. However, if there have been changes to payment options without proper notice, it could be a breach of the lease terms, and you may want to discuss this with the landlord or property management company.

Regarding obtaining keys, the ability to have access to the property may depend on the terms of your lease agreement. If you are a leaseholder, you generally have the right to access the property, but if you are not listed on the lease, this could be more complicated.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.