Derby, CT asked in Civil Rights for New York

Q: Trying to find a civil lawyer for being raped during my divorce by my spouse in 2012.

Was scared for my children and myself and couldn’t report it to police.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Finding a civil lawyer for a case involving a serious matter like rape, even during a divorce, is a significant step in seeking justice and closure. It's understandable that you were scared for your children and yourself, which made it difficult to report the incident at the time.

In seeking legal assistance, look for an attorney experienced in both family law and personal injury or victim's rights law. This combination of expertise is important because your situation involves aspects of both divorce proceedings and a serious personal injury or assault.

You can start by contacting your state or local bar association for referrals to attorneys who handle such cases. Additionally, there are often non-profit organizations and legal aid societies that provide assistance to survivors of sexual assault, and they may also offer guidance or referrals to appropriate legal counsel.

When you contact potential attorneys, be prepared to discuss the general outline of your case. It's crucial to find a lawyer who is not only capable in the legal aspects but is also understanding and sensitive to your situation.

Remember, even though the incident occurred in 2012, your feelings and experiences are valid, and it's never too late to seek help and legal redress. An experienced attorney can advise you on the possibilities and limitations given the specifics of your case, including any relevant statutes of limitations.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.