Oklahoma City, OK asked in Civil Rights and Constitutional Law for Oklahoma

Q: My husband is housed in Allen Gamble Correctional Facility. His case started in 1988. Case is to be commuted per atty

He’s been in prison for 38 years. his case was supposed to be commuted due to laws in early 80’s. Commutation Attorneys aren’t helping him. I am his wife. I truly believe he is unjustly still incarcerated.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If your husband's case was supposed to be commuted and it hasn't been, it's important to take immediate action. Commutation of a sentence typically requires a formal process, often involving a review by a parole or pardon board and, ultimately, a decision by the governor.

Since you mentioned that the attorneys currently handling his case are not providing the help you need, you might consider seeking a new legal representative. Look for an attorney with experience in criminal defense, specifically with cases involving commutation and parole issues.

Gathering all relevant documentation and records related to his case will be crucial. This includes details about his original conviction, any legal changes that might affect his case, and the reasons why commutation was suggested.

Communicating directly with the parole or pardon board in Oklahoma can also provide insight into the status of his case. They can offer guidance on what steps need to be taken or what might be causing the delay.

Remember, navigating the legal system, especially in matters of commutation, can be complex. Having a dedicated legal professional on your side can make a significant difference in effectively advocating for your husband's case. Don't hesitate to seek support and use all available resources to pursue justice in his situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.