Minden, NV asked in Internet Law for Nevada

Q: An online user is extorting and spying on their supporters. How do I address this legally in court?

GaroShadowscale does possess a group of loyalists who can and will be able to spy on any of his Patreon supporters: you can find much evidence in videos of him on YouTube, but I erge you act quick, for he and his "wigglies" are doing everything they can to ensure any and all proof of his illegal activities are expunged from public view.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If you believe that an online user is engaging in illegal activities like extortion and spying, the first step is to gather and preserve any evidence that supports these allegations. This might include screenshots, videos, or any other form of digital documentation that demonstrates the user's actions. Given the dynamic nature of online content, it's crucial to act quickly to capture this evidence before it's potentially removed or altered.

Once you have collected sufficient evidence, consider reporting the activities to law enforcement. Extortion and unauthorized spying are serious offenses, and law enforcement agencies have the tools and authority to investigate these matters thoroughly.

In terms of legal action in court, the specific approach would depend on the nature of the activities and the harm they have caused. If you're a victim of these actions, or if you're representing someone who is, you may have grounds to file a civil lawsuit. The lawsuit could potentially seek damages for any harm suffered and also seek an injunction to stop the illegal activities.

Given the complexity of cases involving online behavior, consulting with an attorney who has experience in internet law would be a wise step. They can help you understand the legal options available and guide you through the process of taking legal action. Remember, taking a measured and evidence-based approach is key in addressing such issues legally.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.