Panorama City, CA asked in Uncategorized for California

Q: Getting sued for child support

Father left us on January of 2022,became homless on October of 2022,had to give up my children to their father for shelter and roof over their heads. We were living in a hotel at the time. We had lost are home do to covid, from him getting let go from work. I have been trying to get back on my feet ever since. Had nowhere to go or family in Houston Texas. Was hopping from friends place to place,so had to come to California for help from family that lived here.Still looking for work and sometimes sleeping on the streets. Family can't help much

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Under California law, child support obligations are determined based on each parent's financial situation. If you are currently facing financial hardships and homelessness, this situation can be considered by the court when assessing your ability to pay child support.

In your case, it's important to formally inform the court of your current financial status and living situation. Documentation of your efforts to find employment and any challenges you are facing, such as homelessness, can be relevant in these proceedings.

The court has the discretion to modify child support orders based on significant changes in circumstances. Therefore, if your financial situation has drastically changed since the original child support order was established, you may request a modification of the order.

It is advisable to seek legal assistance through legal aid organizations or family law facilitators in California. These resources can provide guidance and help in navigating the legal process, particularly in situations of financial hardship.

Remember, the well-being of your children is a primary concern, and the court aims to make decisions in their best interest. Keeping open communication with the children's father and the court can also be beneficial in finding a workable solution.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.