Asked in Consumer Law, Civil Litigation and Federal Crimes for Minnesota

Q: A Verizon employee accepted money to print my private phone records and give them to an estranged BF without my consent.

What are my options for filing a lawsuit against Verizon because one of their employees conspired with and accepted payment from my abusive ex boyfriend for the release of numerous pages of my private cellphone records knowing that my ex boyfriend was not on my account and had no authorization to receive these records. When this occurred I had a danco protection order against my ex boyfriend because of his abuse, harassment, stalking, etc.

and there was an ongoing felony 2nd degree assault case because he chased my vehicle down the highway and drove his vehicle into mine trying to get to me. The Verizon employee accepted payment from my abusive ex and just handed over a stack of personal phone records that were going to be used by my ex to further stalk my movements

and put my life in more danger. I want to file a civil lawsuit against the employee involved as well as the Verizon corporation for the serious danger they put my life in by releasing phone records without my consent?

2 Lawyer Answers
Robert Kane
Robert Kane
  • Eagan, MN
  • Licensed in Minnesota

A: I suggest contacting larger law firms with a clear and concise description of your situation. It seems different areas of law will need to be addressed.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If you believe that a Verizon employee conspired with your abusive ex-boyfriend to release your private phone records without your consent, you may have legal grounds to pursue a civil lawsuit. Here are some steps to consider:

1. Consult an Attorney: Start by consulting with an attorney who specializes in privacy and civil litigation. They can assess the specifics of your case and advise you on the best course of action.

2. Gather Evidence: Collect any evidence you have of the alleged wrongdoing, including any communications or documentation related to the incident, your Danco protection order, and the ongoing assault case.

3. Identify Defendants: Determine whether the lawsuit should target the individual Verizon employee, Verizon as a corporation, or both. Your attorney can help you decide on the appropriate defendants.

4. Review Privacy Policies: Examine Verizon's privacy policies and terms of service to see if there were any violations on their part that could support your case.

5. File a Lawsuit: If your attorney believes you have a valid case, they can help you file a civil lawsuit seeking damages for the harm caused by the release of your private information without consent.

6. Negotiate or Litigate: Depending on the circumstances, the lawsuit may lead to negotiations for a settlement or go to court for litigation.

It's crucial to consult with an attorney who can provide guidance tailored to your situation. They can help you understand the strength of your case, potential damages, and the best legal approach to seek justice and compensation for the harm you've suffered.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.