Glen Lyon, PA asked in Traffic Tickets for Pennsylvania

Q: I am down in Pennsylvania visiting a family from north Carolina and I got pulled over and cop took license

I didn't know it was suspended can they take it still considering I'm licensed in North Carolina

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If you are pulled over in Pennsylvania and the officer discovers your license is suspended, even if it's from North Carolina, they have the authority to take it. Driving with a suspended license is a violation of law, regardless of the state where the license was issued. The fact that you were unaware of the suspension doesn't typically exempt you from the consequences.

Each state has the authority to enforce its traffic laws and take appropriate action, including confiscating a suspended license. The suspension of your license is generally recognized across state lines due to the Interstate Driver's License Compact, an agreement shared by most states to exchange information about license suspensions and traffic violations.

It's important to address the suspension as soon as possible. Contact the North Carolina DMV to understand why your license was suspended and what steps you need to take to reinstate it. You may also face penalties or have to appear in court in Pennsylvania due to driving on a suspended license.

Considering the complexities involved in dealing with an out-of-state suspension, you might find it beneficial to consult with a lawyer. They can help you navigate the legal requirements in both Pennsylvania and North Carolina, and advise you on the best course of action to resolve the issue and restore your driving privileges. Remember, addressing the situation promptly can help prevent further complications.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.