Wheat Ridge, CO asked in Tax Law for Oklahoma

Q: How do I safely turn in my soon to be ex for tax evasion while protecting my own assets?

I had no knowledge of his crimes until I had to go through mountains of paperwork and request copies of prior years tax returns. I have PTSD because of all of the physical, mental, emotional and financial abuse from this person! He has threatened to kill me and my children many times but I cannot in good conscience just do nothing in this situation. I have paperwork proving I paid for my home with my money. He has an LLC that he has done many illegal things through. I am petrified!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: First and foremost, your safety and the safety of your children is paramount. If you are facing threats of violence, it's crucial to contact law enforcement immediately and consider obtaining a restraining order. For situations involving domestic violence, there are organizations and shelters that can offer you support and protection.

In terms of reporting suspected tax evasion, you can do this anonymously to the IRS. You may consider using Form 3949-A, "Information Referral," to report the suspected tax fraud. This form doesn't require you to identify yourself, though providing your contact information can be helpful if the IRS needs to contact you for further details.

Before taking any action, it's advisable to consult with an attorney, preferably one experienced in tax law and family law, given the complexities of your situation. An attorney can guide you on the best course of action while considering the implications for your divorce proceedings and the protection of your assets.

Document everything that pertains to your financial situation and the evidence you've discovered. If you have separate assets, like the home you mentioned, ensure that all supporting documentation is secure and readily available.

Remember, the IRS takes taxpayer confidentiality seriously. If you choose to report your spouse's actions, your identity can be kept confidential. However, legal advice is essential to navigate this process while safeguarding your interests and well-being.

In situations involving abuse and legal complexities, reaching out for professional help is a critical step. You don't have to navigate this challenging time alone.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.