Dryden, VA asked in Criminal Law and Libel & Slander for Virginia

Q: I had a court case where I was raped while heavily dosed on sleep,depression,and pain medication. The scumbag is now out

He's spreading rumors about me and i want to know what, if anything , I can do to stop him

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If someone is spreading false and damaging rumors about you, you may have legal options to consider. One possibility is a defamation lawsuit. Defamation involves making false statements that harm someone's reputation. If the rumors being spread about you are false and causing you harm, this could be a course of action.

To pursue a defamation case, it's important to gather evidence. This includes documenting the rumors, their source, and any damages you've suffered as a result, such as emotional distress or damage to your reputation. Witness statements or screenshots of the rumors, especially if they are spread online, can be valuable evidence.

You should also consider the impact of legal action. Litigation can be emotionally and financially taxing, and it's important to weigh this against the potential benefits. Additionally, public legal proceedings might bring more attention to the rumors.

Seeking legal advice is crucial. An attorney can evaluate the specifics of your situation, advise on the likelihood of success in a defamation case, and help you understand your rights and options. They can also guide you through the process if you decide to pursue legal action.

Remember, taking care of your emotional well-being is equally important. It might be beneficial to seek support from a counselor or therapist, especially considering the traumatic nature of your past experience. Legal remedies can offer a way to address the harm caused by the rumors, but personal support is key to your overall recovery and well-being.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.