Santa Barbara, CA asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Utah

Q: What’s the process for getting custody of a child that’s a non family member when parent is an addict.

A family friend dropped their children off 2 weeks ago and has made minimal effort to pick them up. They have lived with me off and on since birth. They have a stable home but chose not to live there, and continue to drag the kids around from place to place leaving them for extended time periods with me or the grandparents

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: If you are seeking custody of a child who is a non-family member due to concerns about the parent's addiction, the process in Utah typically involves filing a petition for guardianship or custody with the appropriate court. Given that the children have been living with you and the grandparents, providing stability and a secure environment, you may have a strong case for custody. It is crucial to gather evidence of the parent's addiction, including any relevant documents or incidents that demonstrate the parent's inability to provide a stable and safe environment for the children. Ensure that you meet all the necessary requirements, and help you present a compelling case to the court. The court will consider the best interests of the children when determining custody arrangements.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.