Annapolis, MD asked in Probate for Florida

Q: After florida probate my sister has inherited our aunts home. We are listed as heirs as persons of interest.

She has abandoned this home. What can we do. It's in her name only. In Tallahassee fl. 2011 last time she was there. House vacant.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Phillip William Gunthert
Phillip William Gunthert
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Orlando, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: You should have the probate order and deed reviewed, but if she was given the home for life or entirely via deed and does not want the property, then she can or should potentially deed the property to you via some deed. In addition, you need to make sure that any mortgage is being paid, property taxes and if applicable hoa fees or the home will end up potentially being lost and or foreclosed upon. There are a lot of moving parts and potential outcomes here, but getting her to deed the property away through some agreement or otherwise would be your best bet, even if the house is listed and sold or refinanced to buy her out or some other arrangement. If the house is ignored, neglected you have all sorts of issues that will arise where you can potentially lose the house sooner than later.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.