New York, NY asked in Gov & Administrative Law for Pennsylvania

Q: Can a magistrate dictate how/where I pay my fine I typically use ujs portal and was told i can’t do that by magistrate

I was told I must make any further payment to the clerk of courts for the county in person

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: In Pennsylvania, the method of paying fines can sometimes be subject to specific directives from the court or magistrate. If you've been instructed to pay your fine in person at the clerk of courts, this direction should typically be followed.

However, if this method presents a significant inconvenience or difficulty for you, you have options. You might consider contacting the court to explain your situation and request an alternative payment method. Courts often have provisions for situations that require accommodation.

Additionally, it could be helpful to inquire about the reasoning behind this specific directive. There might be administrative reasons for such a decision, which the court can clarify. Understanding this can help in addressing any concerns you may have.

Remember, open communication with the court is key. If you feel that the directive is unreasonable or if you're unsure about the process, seeking legal advice might provide clarity and assist in navigating the situation effectively.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.