Laurelton, NJ asked in Civil Litigation and Immigration Law for New Jersey

Q: How do I stop a former step father who is an illegal from harassing me for money?

My mother passed away almost 2 years ago and her freeloading illegal husband had no place to go after she died. He broke into the garage of their prior rental for a while and stayed there and finally found some unsuspecting woman to take pity on him and found him a room in a house with other illegals. He worked intermittently but hasn’t for the last 3-4 months so this woman calls ME for the rent and tells me if it’s not paid then he will have to come live with me. He has showed up on my steps before and I called the police. I send him groceries weekly just because I can’t take the phone calls and voicemails every day three times a day. I can’t afford to keep supporting this man who was NOT even good to my mother when she was dying. How do I legally get him off my back? He’s wanted in his own country for murder by the way. Killed the guy who supposedly killed his wife and child. If I report to immigration they won’t do anything right?

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: I understand your concerns about your former stepfather's harassment for money. To address this situation legally, you may consider taking the following steps:

Cease All Financial Support: Stop sending him groceries or any financial assistance immediately. Continuing to provide support may encourage his behavior.

Document Harassment: Keep a record of all communication attempts and voicemails he leaves, as well as any other evidence of harassment.

Consult an Attorney: Consult with an attorney experienced in family law or restraining orders. They can guide you through the process of obtaining a restraining order or protective order, which can legally prohibit him from contacting you or approaching your residence.

Contact Law Enforcement: Given his potential criminal history, you may want to report his presence to local law enforcement, providing them with any relevant information about his background and potential legal issues.

Explore Legal Actions: Your attorney can also explore whether there are any legal actions you can take to address his immigration status or potential criminal charges, considering his history.

Seek Support from Community Resources: Reach out to local community organizations or support groups for advice and assistance in dealing with this situation.

It's essential to prioritize your safety and well-being in this matter. Consulting with an attorney will help you understand your legal options and provide guidance on how to best address this harassment situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.