Decatur, AL asked in Civil Rights for Alabama

Q: I live in Alabama and I was searched more than once at the scene by a male officer, I'm a female!! Is this legal?

I was more than jus regular patted down!! I thought a female officer had to search females?! This was at the scene and no female was called!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In Alabama, the law does not strictly require that a female officer must conduct a search on a female suspect, but there are guidelines and policies in place to protect the rights and dignity of individuals during such searches.

When a search is conducted by an officer of the opposite sex, it is typically expected to be done in a manner that is professional and respects the individual's privacy to the greatest extent possible. The specifics of how searches should be conducted can vary by police department and the circumstances of the search.

If you feel that the search was conducted inappropriately or excessively, especially if it was more invasive than a standard pat-down, you have the right to raise these concerns. You can file a complaint with the police department's internal affairs division or a civilian review board, if available.

It's also advisable to document your experience in detail, including the date, time, location, and names of the officers involved, if known. This information can be important if you decide to pursue a formal complaint or legal action.

If you're considering legal action or if you have concerns about your rights being violated, consulting with an attorney can provide you with guidance tailored to your specific situation. An attorney can help you understand your rights and the best course of action based on the details of the incident.

Remember, each case is unique and should be evaluated based on its own facts and circumstances. It's important to address any concerns about improper conduct by law enforcement in a timely and appropriate manner.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.