Parkville, MD asked in Gov & Administrative Law for Maryland

Q: Is it legal to travel around the US with a US passport but without an ID card?

I have an urgent need to go the Nevada from Maryland, and then I will go to California, and then to Bermuda. But I have no driver's license nor ID card yet, that is why I am asking.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: Traveling within the United States using a U.S. passport as your primary form of identification is generally acceptable. A U.S. passport is a federally recognized form of identification and is often used for domestic flights, checking into hotels, and other similar situations where ID is required.

However, it's important to note that specific establishments or situations might have their own requirements for identification. For instance, if you're planning to rent a car or check into certain types of accommodations, they may have policies requiring a driver's license or another form of ID.

For air travel, the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) accepts U.S. passports as valid identification for domestic flights. Make sure your passport is current and not expired. When traveling to Bermuda, your passport will be necessary for international travel and is the appropriate form of identification.

It's always a good idea to check in advance with any transportation providers, hotels, or other entities you plan to use during your travels to confirm their ID requirements. This will help avoid any unexpected issues related to identification.

Remember, while a U.S. passport is a widely accepted form of ID, carrying a secondary form of identification, if available, can be helpful in situations where additional verification is needed. Safe travels!

Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley
  • Rockville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: You are not required to have ID to travel about the United States. This is not a police state. You cannot drive a motor vehicle without a validly issued state driver's license, or with an acceptable foreign driver’s license, but your freedom of movement is not restricted. Private businesses, like hotels and bars, may require ID (to check in or to buy alcoholic drinks) but a passport would typically be sufficient in those scenarios.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.