Homewood, IL asked in Contracts and Real Estate Law for Illinois

Q: A contractor and I did a real estate investment for 15k and 30 k was given after the sale . No response back run off.

I run off with my money, n I have texts messages of the deal .

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: In your situation, where a contractor has taken your money without fulfilling their part of a real estate investment deal, you have several legal options to consider. The text messages you have can serve as evidence of the agreement and the contractor's obligations.

First, you may consider initiating a civil lawsuit for breach of contract. Given the amount involved, this case could be brought in small claims court if it falls within the monetary limits, or in a higher court if it exceeds those limits. The aim would be to recover the money you invested, along with any additional damages caused by the breach.

Another option is to file a complaint with the Illinois Attorney General's Office. They handle consumer complaints and can sometimes intervene in cases of fraud or deceptive business practices.

Also, you might want to report the incident to the local police, especially if you believe the contractor's actions constitute criminal fraud or theft.

It's advisable to gather all relevant documentation, including any written agreements, text messages, receipts, and records of payments. Having this information organized will be helpful when you seek legal redress.

Given the complexities involved in legal disputes, you might find it beneficial to consult with an attorney. An attorney can provide specific guidance based on the details of your case and help you navigate the legal process.

Remember, taking timely action is important in such situations to protect your rights and increase the likelihood of a favorable outcome. Each case is unique, and the appropriate course of action will depend on the specific circumstances of your situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.