Centralia, IL asked in Adoption, Child Custody and Family Law for Illinois

Q: Can a parent sign over their rights to a friend after their child is put into foster care, In the state of Kentucky

The mothers daughter was put into foster care, at the end of the month she has court for termination of rights, and she would like to sign those rights over to me and my husband instead. We just want to know if that is even possible and how to proceed if it is.

1 Lawyer Answer
Cheryl Powell
Cheryl Powell
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Mt Vernon, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: I can tell you what would happen in Illinois and the rules should be similar to Illinois. In Illinois, the child would be a ward of the court before a termination of rights case began. The only way you could get the child is if DCFS KY agrees. You need a lawyer who works with DCFS and does adoptions to help you. In Illinois it matters how long the child has been with foster parents, if foster parents want to keep the child, etc.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.